The Laughing House

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A WHOLE AFTERNOON TO MYSELF...wait, WHAT? (probably not)

Have you had a day like this...

"Merry Christmas" the office says, "You get the afternoon off!" What? A whole afternoon off? My entire body went into shock!! A WHOLE AFTERNOON TO MYSELF!

What will I do?  I began to daydream and pictured myself (which is generally a Victoria Secret body with Jennifer Aniston's face and somehow ME meshed into it) getting a pedicure, a massage, having a nice snack out on the front porch, reading a relaxing book, doing a little shopping, and coming home to my wonderful family who had prepared dinner which was sitting on the table where we all sat around laughing and talking.

I left the office party and headed home as the dream whirled through my mind. I pulled into the driveway and walked into the door.

My son was home from school early because he had finals! Mom, "Let's play basketball!" I gave the little squint eyed look like maybe not and he suggested, "Let's put up the Christmas lights in the front yard then." Now, believe it or not, that was sounding a little better because 1. it needed to be done and 2. my neighbors gave me a hard time at the block Christmas party the night before because we are the only ones without lights up. Imagine that!

I quickly realized my afternoon fantasy was fading fast, so I agreed to put up lights. We began the fun endeavor, laughing and talking, when my husband came out the front door yelling, "I forgot BJ's doctor's appointment is today and I didn't get his MRI."  Guess where my son and I headed? We left the lights in the front yard and took off to get the MRI which was at 1960 and I-45. We arrived and waited at least 30 minutes. Finally, got the the test and drove 30 minutes across town to spend another 30 minutes trying to find the doctor's office. We laughed a few minutes with my husband and son, then headed off to fight another 30 minutes of traffic to arrive home at 6:00 which was just in time to start dinner.

WAIT...WHAT????
My whole afternoon of luxury and self-indulgence was out the door! I realized as I cleaned the kitchen, helped with homework, and yes popped pimples for a desperate teenager (you know you've done it) the last few minutes of the precious day to myself...I smiled and realized...I wouldn't trade it for the world. Despite the change in plans, my son and I spent the entire afternoon laughing and making memories as we trudged through the necessary demands of life. I had quality time with my daughter doing homework and a moment with my son explaining God's word that I'll never forget.

As you rush around this Christmas season, your plans will change, the in-laws will drive you crazy, the cookies will burn, the lights will go out, and you will more than likely not get one second to yourself...so what do you do?

EMBRACE EVERY MOMENT!! MAKE MEMORIES!! And CHERISH THE LITTLE TIME YOU HAVE WITH YOUR FAMILY whether it's driving all over town, cooking, doing homework, or popping pimples...enjoy it, because it goes so quickly and we only get this one Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home