The Laughing House

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Be All There

You learn a lot about a person just by watching and listening.
This weekend I learned a little something by watching someone I've known for awhile.

Have you ever heard the saying, "If you're there, then... be ALL there." I read one time when Pres. Bush is talking with someone, he gives his undivided attention to that person. You feel you are the only person in the world to him at that moment in time. I want to be that kind of person!

My friend has a knack for doing this! I watched this weekend and this is how he does it. It's stuff you've heard or read, but we don't often do it. Here you go,

Top 5 Ways to BE ALL THERE:
1. Eye Contact! When you're talking to someone, make eye contact. When the conversation ends, know the color of their eyes.

2. Watch! Watch what the other person is interested in. Not listen, but WATCH when they take a moment to glance at something. We would get so much closer to our kids just by watching what catches their attention and taking a quick sec. to ask what they think about it.

3. Listen! Really listen to what they say and uncover their dreams. When you do, ask questions about it. Listen to them talk. Many people fear their dreams and most people don't care. Be the person who listens and cares. Ask the question: What is your biggest dream?

4. Remember! Even though you may not talk to them often, when you do see them, remember to ask about their dreams.

5. Encourage! Say one encouraging word to them. You never know the power one word holds. Encourage them to live their dreams. They may not believe they can do it themselves. People go much farther on someone else's belief than on their own.

It sounds so easy, and yes, it looked so simple this weekend. However, sad to say, I didn't reciprocate. Couldn't tell you the person's dream who taught me these lessons. Didn't really listen or watch, but...I learned a very valuable lesson, next time and every chance I get...I'm going to be ALL THERE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home