The Laughing House

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Meeting the Random Sacker

Have you ever met a random stranger and thought...there was a very intentional purpose behind this encounter? Someone at Starbucks? A parent of your child's friend? The lady in front of you at Wal-mart?

Yesterday I was at Kroger stock-piling 2 grocery carts with sodas and water for my daughter's after prom party at her high school. As I attempted to lug 2 overflowing carts to my suburban, a nice young man sacking groceries asked if he could help. I graciously excepted his offer not knowing the amazing story I would hear.

As we loaded the trunk, he asked what all the drinks were for. I began to explain the after prom event when he said he didn't have a good experience at Klein High School. The conversation continued until I discovered that this 19 year old boy was attending a community college where he is studying theology. He has a deep passion to help people who are hopeless through prison ministry. His dream is to be a chaplain in the Harris County prison system.

I was blown away by his intelligence, love for the Lord, and strong desire to help others. I told him about a friend of mine who was recently released from jail, has given his life to Jesus, and feels called to ministry.  The young man was excited to get to know my friend and we exchanged numbers in hopes that the two might meet.

I have no idea if I will ever connect with the committed young man again, but what I do know is... there are no random meetings. God puts people in our lives every day to teach us, love us, help us, challenge us, and even encourage us.

Look around today as you go through life. Notice others. Smile at someone or begin a conversation with what appears to be a random person. You might be surprised to find that the waiter needs encouragement, the checker has a profound truth to teach, the lady at Starbucks can help, or the random sacker has an amazing story.

"As we have the opportunity let us do good to everyone." Galatians 6:9




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home