The Laughing House

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Anybody Remember Enron?

I'll never forget the day my husband came home and said, "I get to bid on the Enron account."
This was two or three years before Enron crashed and my husband was in the document security and destruction business. If he landed this account, it meant huge $$$ for the Chase family. I begged and pleaded God for this account. I prayed while my husband was at the meeting selling the deal. I prayed all day long, and the days to follow until we received the final word.
The final word was like a sock in the stomach, "No thank you," they said. "We've chosen to go with someone else."
"What?" I screamed in my mind. I couldn't let my anger show in order to support my husband, but all I could think was, "Hello, God, are you up there? This was all I asked for. Was this too much?"
I never heard a response from God. I resolved to accept the fact that we lost the perfect account and lots of $$$.
As Paul Harvey would say, "The rest of the story" is known by the world. Two or three years later, Enron was busted. At the center of the controversy was document destruction and shredding. I could not believe the news when I first saw it. As I sat listening to the reporters, I got down on my knees and begged once again like I had done several years earlier. This time I begged for forgiveness. God knew what was going to happen to the person responsible for Enron's document destruction. God knew what was going to happen to the company. Most importantly, God knew He was protecting my husband and my family.

Sometimes we don't understand why God allows certain things to happen. Just like we don't give our children sodas for breakfast and cookies for dinner, God doesn't always give us what we want. God knows what is best for us. He knows what is going to happen 2 or 3 years down the road and He is willing to do what is best even when he knows it might not make us temporarily happy.

Trust God...
He knows what we need.
He knows what is best.
He knows the perfect time.
He knows what is ahead.
He is in control of it all and He loves us!