The Laughing House

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Keep On Walking

Are you afraid of the dark?

In the country when night sets in, it is dark. There are no city lights to brighten up the sky and on one particular night the moon was not out. The kids and I were spending the night with friends at their farm. My friend and I were walking to the house from being at the catfish pond. It was dark and we were moving carefully. Suddenly we heard a noise that sounded like a bear. We froze.

"Did you hear that?" I asked.

"Yeah, was that a bear?" she replied.

"I don't know." I said. "What do we do?"

We determined to keep walking and ignore it.

As we walked I asked her what she would do if a bear came out of the woods in front of us.

She said, "I would fight it with everything I've got."

I was very surprised and rather impressed. My friend is very much a lady and puts me to shame in the "girly" department. I never expected her to say that.

She asked me, "What would you do?"

I very graciously replied, "I would stand behind you and cheer you on with everything I've got."

We both laughed as we noticed a huge plane flying low over our heads. Our bear turned into a 747 and though we felt a little foolish, we were very relieved.



Part of determining God's will for our life is to

"Walk in the light God gives you."

Sometimes the light seems dim. Other times we hear voices in our heads or from others that are discouraging or deceptive. It feels like we are ready to be brought down by a bear. We just have to keep walking in the light God gives us. Even when it "feels" like there is no light at all. We can't base our life on feelings. Feelings come and go, they are often weak and deceiving. We must focus on the light. Keep our eyes fixed on what God has put before us and keep walking.


Whatever lesson God teaches...do it.

Whatever possession God gives...care for it.

Whatever person God shares...love it.

Whatever joy God sends...enjoy it.

Whatever job God provides...work it.

Whatever song God brings...sing it.

Whatever light God gives...walk in it.


Trust him and know that He is working all things together for your good. Determining God's will is taking one step at a time, one day at a time, one moment at a time in the light he has given.