The Laughing House

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Peanut Butter and Jelly Teachable

Last week I was going to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for our family for lunch. I asked Michael to come and help me. To my surprise he excitedly ran into the kitchen and said, “I want to help!”
“Wow,” I responded, “That was nice! Why the enthusiasm for making sandwiches?”
“I want to be teachable,” he said.That was not the answer I expected.
“Really? Why?” I asked.
He explained that Coach Ashmun, one of his baseball coaches, told his team it was good to be teachable. Coach Ashmun used one of the boys on the team as an example.
“Kobe always listens when the coaches are helping him and he puts into practice whatever he hears,” the coach explained.
“I want to be like that,” Michael said.

What a great trait to have…teachable!
I began to ask myself
How teachable am I?
Am I willing to listen?
Do I put into practice what I hear?

I once read the quote, “Experience teaches only the teachable.” Am I one of the teachable? No matter if it's making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or learning how to manage a million dollars (just dreaming), I’m listening today to what I need to learn with the goal in mind of putting it into practice! The question is...what is it that God needs me to learn?