The Laughing House

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Serve and Say

Isn't it hard to put others first?
I have 2 nieces that are 4 and 1 1/2. The oldest, Kaley, is quiet, gentle, and a peacemaker. The youngest, Kenzie, is a little ball of action. If she doesn't want to eat her dinner and you tell her to, she will look you in the eye and throw her food on the floor. If her sister has a toy that she wants, she will grab, pinch, and pull hair until she gets it. She likes getting her way and isn't afraid to make it happen!

Last night Michael and I were going to lay in bed in mine and Rick's room and watch the movie Cars. We decided to each take our shower, do some sit-ups & push-ups, and then watch the movie. While doing our sit-ups, Rick came in and turned on the Astros game.

What do you do? The Kenzie in me wanted to grab the remote, pinch his fingers, and pull his hair for stealing our fun. But the Kenzie in him was determined to watch the Astros game.

The question is, "What do you do when you want your way but someone else won't let you have it?"

While contemplating more Kenzie moves in my head, our 10 year-old son determined what to do.
"Come on, mom. Dad can watch the Astros up here. We'll go downstairs."
I was thinking, "That's not a very fun Kenzie move. Wouldn't you rather demand we get our way until he leaves? Where did he get that idea?"

I followed the lead of my son and we enjoyed watching Cars downstairs.

There is part of me that wants my way. We must all have that small part in us, because most people I know want things their way, too. How do we overcome it?

The staff that worked at Carolina Creek during Middle School Camp was incredible. They were constantly serving us and making our week as comfortable, memorable, and enjoyable as possible. They never complained and always put us first. One of my prayers when I left was to focus on being a servant.

As I thought about my Kenzie moment last night, this verse came to mind, "Do nothing out of selfishness, but consider others (Rick) better than yourself (me). Look not only to my interests, but also to the interests of others (Rick)." That is what the staff at Carolina Creek did and that is what I want to become. A person who considers others more important and thinks about others needs.

So when those Kenzie moments occur, here is my new plan, "SERVE and SAY OKAY!"
Simply say, "Okay," don't complain, and do what I can to serve the other person!

Some people say you can't be that way in life. You will get walked all over. That's not what the greatest leader who ever lived says. The one man who revolutionized the world in such a way that even the date is determined by his life. Jesus said, "I did not come to be served but to serve many and give my life for them."