The Laughing House

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Always An Opportunity

I saw the Good Samaritan last night.

I was watching kids load into their cars after VBX, when 2 boys ran towards me and hollered, "My mom's car won't start. We need jumper cables."
As I walked towards the car in the parking lot, I asked several men if they could help. It was interesting to watch each man's response. Each one had a different reason why he couldn't.
While searching for that 1 willing Samaritan, I heard, "Hey Steph, what's going on? You need some help?"
I was taken back by the willingness of 1 man to lend a helping hand. "Yeah! We need jumper cables."
"I don't have any in my car, but I'll drive home and get them if I need to. Look, there's Alex, I bet he's got a pair."
"Alex!" I yelled across the lot, "Do you have jumper cables?"
"Yes, I've got 2 pair," he responded.
"Bring your car & cables around here and help us jump this car," I told him.
"Okay!" He quickly put the car in position.
The 2 men went to work.
About that time another gentleman walked over to the car. "What's going on? You guys need help?" he asked. He instinctively began helping.
Within minutes the car was started, the lady was smiling, and everyone was on their way home.
Before we left Alex said, "There is always an opportunity to serve, you just gotta be willing."

Last night I realized there are those rare few who are willing to serve when the opportunity arises. Like the 3 good samaritans last night, I hope I will always be one of the few, the willing, the good samaritans.

"Whatever you did for one of the least of these, you did for me." Jesus