The Laughing House

Monday, June 15, 2009

Fodder for the Fire

Everything I own or possess will one day be gone.
Either I will die and own it no longer or at the end of time it will become "fodder for the fire."
There is nothing wrong with owning a nice home or car, wearing nice clothes, or buying the latest electronic gadgets. How do I know, though, when it becomes wrong? I have to ask myself simple questions:
1. Why am I buying this? ...to fill my wants, to impress someone, because I'm bored, my old one doesn't look good enough.
2. In 2 months, after the "new" is gone, will I still use it?
3. If no one else knew I was buying it, would I still buy it?
4. Will making this purchase put me in debt?
5. Will this be fodder for the fire or does it have eternal value?
6. Will I die without it?
With our job status in limbo, I have had to take a hard look at what is really necessary in life.
I realized what truly matters in life are the things we can't see. We can't see memories, love, laughter, time, a good conversation, a word of encouragement, a hug, appreciation, peace, or kindness.
I'm noticing all the things in life that won't be fodder for the fire.
...When we sat down as a family to play Sorry, I realized the game may become fodder for the fire, but the time and fun we had together will last forever.
...When my daughter and I had an indepth conversation about the tough parts of life.
...When I laughed hysterically at one of my daughter's babysitting episodes.
...When my brother called. (He told me he read in the Bible Stephen was stoned and he didn't mean marijuana.)
...When we go for a walk around the neighborhood.
When I heard the quote "fodder for the fire" it made me think. I don't want to accumulate a pile of rubbish for the fire. I want to spend my life investing in what makes an eternal difference!