The Laughing House

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Just a Dog Trying to Catch a Squirrel

My dog is amazing. I have recently started taking him on walks. There is a 2 mile circle around our neighborhood. The first week I took him walking he stayed right beside me and never pulled on the leash. Yesterday I decided to take him off the leash and see if he would follow my lead. BOOM, the first time out he made it all the way around the circle and only chased 2 squirrels, 1 bird, and stopped to gnaw on an old chicken bone.

I thought that was pretty good for a first try. Each time he was distracted by something, I would make this "AAAGGG" noise, and say "Nugget, come here." He came back every time and took up right where he left off. Today we repeated the same scenario and he only went after 1 bird. I was totally amazed. "What makes this dog do what he is suppose to do?"

At the moment the thought popped into my head, a voice began to whisper.
"What makes you do what you are suppose to do? What makes you obey me?"
I began to think how much I am like Nugget. I want to please my master so I do my best to walk loyally and faithfully next to him. It never fails, though, I don't get my way, something ticks me off and I'm off chasing birds or gnawing on a chicken bone.

Wouldn't it be great if we could all walk next to Christ with no distractions or temptations? How do we learn to stay focused on the way of our master? When we hear that quiet, "AAGG," continue on his path. Don't make a mad dash for the temporary things that bring no real pleasure. When he says, "Steph, come here," get back on track. When I learn what displeases him, don't look at it. Just keep walking.

Last night one of my preciouses really upset me. I heard the "AAGG." It meant don't talk about it now. You are not in the right frame of mind. Go take your bath. Think awhile. Cool off a little bit. What did I do? I chased that squirrel until I caught it. What happened? I made a small matter worse. I lost my temper. Talked louder than I should have. Brought no reconciliation to the situation. Worst of all, I think my precious child only learned one thing from the whole situation - how not to discipline your kids. If I only had on a collar, he could have yanked me back where I needed to be.

I'm learning from Nugget. We both have lots of work in the matter of distractions and temptations. The great thing is we both have a master that loves us very much and is willing to forgive when we stray off course. We both want to please our masters and with a little help we can kiss those squirrels good-bye and snub our noses at chicken bones.