The Laughing House

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Don't Be Left Hangin' In the Air

Would you climb on a motorcycle, accelerate 100 miles an hour, scale an enormous ramp, and propel yourself and the motorcycle head over tire through the air making two 180 degree turns? Suppose you launched into the air and realized, I’m not going to make it. You are suspended three stories in the air with a massive piece of gas burning metal (my description of a motorcycle, work with me here) and you are about to drop. Pretend time froze. There you are hanging in the air. What thoughts are racing through your mind?

Tonight on the X-games, a daring hero experienced this encounter. His response was, “I knew the moment I left the ramp this wasn’t going to work. While I hung in the air, I thought, ‘This is gonna stink.’”

How many times have I thought, “This is gonna stink?” When I sped down Louetta and the cop stopped me, I thought, “This is gonna stink.” When I locked my keys in the car, first thought, “This is gonna stink.” When I lost my cool with my daughter, I KNEW that was gonna stink. When my husband lost his job, it really stunk.

Life is full of stinky situations. We have to ask ourselves, “How can I prevent and handle smelly circumstances?” The key is self-control. I learned the brave hero attempting the astonishing yet somewhat foolish motorcycle jump made a minute move in the wrong direction. Had he maintained concentrated, steadfast control of the motorcycle his landing would have been impeccable. Instead a tiny loss of focus cost him the win and pain.

A tiny loss of focus can damage our relationships, add pounds to our padding, reduce our bank accounts, or increase pain in our lives. Before making a choice, stop, secure self-control, and then take action. It’s like looking at a thousand foot motorcycle jump and thinking, “Is this a good idea?” When you know the right answer, execute the right action. Be the daring hero and attempt the astonishing feats in life with concentrated, steadfast control, then you won’t be left hanging in the air thinking, “This is gonna stink.”

“Prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled.” 1 Peter 1:13a