The Laughing House

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Cow Pasture Investment

Do you remember the first time you chose to participate in a “party?” Not a slumber party or a graduation party, but the party in high school that “everyone” goes to. You knew there would be drinking, people making out, and who knows what else, but you decided to go for the first time. I was recently reminded of my “first.”

My best friend and I thought it would be fun to take the party plunge our junior year. Where I grew up, these parties happened in cow pastures. Kids throwing the party provided a keg, music, a place to hang out and get drunk..

I was unbelievably nervous that night. What if the party got busted? What if someone asked me to drink? What if people were smoking pot? These “what ifs” were wreaking havoc on my emotions as I piled on gorgeous blue eye-shadow, plastered on the Aqua Net, and dressed in my finest 80s attire!

We followed the printed map and cardboard signs to a pasture out in the middle of no where. We parked on the side of a two lane road along with the longest train of high school vehicles I had ever seen. We got out and headed towards the voice of Bruce Springsteen blaring through worn out speakers. My heart was pounding. My hands were sweating. I was thinking, “What am I doing here?” We paid some ½ drunk guy sitting at an old silver gate $2 and hiked across the field. Just about the time we made it to the crowd, someone yelled, “The cops are on the way!”

My heart sank to my toenails. Kids scrambled every direction. My friend yelled, “Let’s go!” We ran to the car amongst the stampede of mullets, fluorescent shirts, mini-skirts, Polos, and topsiders. We slid into her red Camaro and took off.

I sat frozen in the car. I couldn’t breathe. My heart was going to literally pop out of my chest. We could hear sirens in the distance. We made it to a McDonalds, got a huge shake and fries, and rehashed our stupidity. I remember thinking, “I will NEVER EVER in my WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE do that again.” That night before I went to bed, I tore a dollar bill in ½, hung it in my room, and made a promise to myself and God - I would never again waste the money, the time, and the life I’ve been given on something so foolish!

Today I faced my promise. How am I spending my money, my time, and my life? I’m not mixing it up at pasture parties these days, but am I making the same stupid mistake? Am I investing my money in what lasts? Spending quality time with people I love? Giving my life to benefit others and God?

I have 24 hours everyday. I can waste it or invest it. My first investment in a party was a huge mistake. I don’t want to make that mistake again. So tomorrow and every day after when I awake, I will ask myself this question: “Am I wasting or wisely investing all I’ve been given?” What about you?