The Laughing House

Monday, July 20, 2009

The Power of I

Have you heard the song "Mayday" by The Icarus Account?
This morning my teenage daughter said, "Mom, I want you to hear this song."
She pulled up Mayday on You Tube. We laid on the bed & listened carefully.
When the song ended, I asked, "Who told you about this song?"
"Last night at Bible Study one of our leaders told us about it." she replied.

My daughter spent the rest of the day listening to this new group. She listened while she "laid out" on the roof. She listened while she showered. She listened while she straightened her hair.
She listened while she "hung out" in her room.

It dawned on me the power of that 1 leader. She simply mentioned a song and that 1 song has been the focus of my child ALL DAY LONG!

Do we realize the power we have?
We all posess a power called influence.
Think about how our words influence people.

What happens when we say...
"Have you tried Chipoltes? You've gotta try it." We influence where & what people eat.

"I can't stand that girl. Who would be friends with her?" We influence relationships.

"You are so fat." We influence people's self worth.

"I love Country Music." We influence what people listen to.

"Have you been to Champion Forest Baptist Church? It is the GREATEST place on earth." We influence people's walk with Christ.

"You have to see the movie Fire Proof." It is unbelievable. We influence what people watch.

"Have you asked your husband how you can help him today?" We influence marriages.

"Have you played the card game 3s with your family?" We influence families.

The question is - What do I do with the power I've been given?

Some people say, "The world is too messed up for a single person like me to have any influence. "
A man walked out to the beach early one morning. To his amazement, hundreds of star fish covered the shoreline. They were all desperately trying to make their way back to the water, fighting for life. The man noticed a little boy picking up one starfish at a time and tossing it as far into the ocean as he could. The older man said to the young boy, "This is a nice thing you are doing, but you can't save all these starfish." The little boy leaned over, picked up another starfish, flung it way out into the salty water, looked back at the man, and said, "You are right sir, but I just saved that one."

That little boy was using the power, God had given him to make a difference in the life of one little starfish at a time.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke
Take the power of "I" given to you and do something. There are hundreds of starfish in your home, at work, in your neighborhood, and at your church waiting for your influence to make a difference in their life.