The Laughing House

Monday, July 20, 2009

Rhyme Off

I just returned from an Early Childhood Conference with 1,000 women!
It was incredible. The enthusiasm and energy in the atmosphere was inspiring!
Here is 1 new thing I learned!


Studies have shown that people who can quote 8 Nursery Rhymes are more successful!
Last night I challenged my children to a Rhyme Off! Who could say the most Nursery Rhymes?
It was fun hearing them trying to remember if Humpty Dumpty was the one who went up the hill to fetch three blind mice or was it Mary with her little lamb who fell off the wall and some little boy who was blue that could jump over a candlestick tried to put her pieces back together again?

The evening became more entertaining when my son got out the keyboard and we put each Nursery Rhyme to a rap. Are you looking for something to do on a long car ride, at the dinner table, or on a "boring" summer afternoon? Have a Rhyme Off!
* Who can remember the most Nursery Rhymes?
* Pair up in teams and act out each rhyme!
* Play Nursery Rhyme Cherades.
* Make Rhyme Raps.

(If you have older children, who might be a little resistant to join the fun, start the Rhyme Off with something like this, "I bet I can say more Nursery Rhymes than you." A little friendly competition is a good jump start to most activities, especially with teenage boys!)