The Laughing House

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Swinging for Momentum

Last year Josh Hamilton hit 27 homeruns at the Homerun Derby!
27...I'm doing good to make contact in the front yard with a tennis ball and plastic bat.
How did he do it?
I wonder...when he hit the first homerun if he thought, "This is only the beginning of 26 more to come?" Or did he think, "That felt pretty good?" The second homerun was probably a little more exciting, but imagine how he felt when he hit the 10th one. Then 11. And how about 15?
A phenomenon was happening that occurs every day in the lives of many people.
He was gaining momentum.

Momentum starts with 1 small victory. We don't realize it's the beginning of 26 more to come. We just think, "That was good." Then another victory occurs. Then another. The next thing you know, success is gaining speed and before long momentum creates excitement and accomplishment.

The question is...where do we need momentum? In what area of my life do I need a small victory?
My marriage, my weight, my money managment, my friendships, my parenting
Momentum begins with action. Hamilton had to step up to the plate and swing the bat. Yes, he made some outs, but he continued until momentum set the pace.
Step up to the plate and swing until that 1st victory gets the ball rolling and don't stop until you've conquered 26 more!
(This thought ignited from Element - 7/15/09)