The Laughing House

Saturday, December 12, 2009

I Think I Can

What’s the latest “how to” article you’ve read? How to remodel your bathroom? How to manage your children? How to decorate for the holidays? How to have a long and satisfying marriage? How to trim off a few inches? The “How Tos” are everywhere.

I’ll never forget the first “How To” conference I attended. Mammie McCullough, “the famous I CAN lady” was the guest speaker. I was in my late twenties, married, had three preschoolers, and working full time. Basically, her entire talk was on how to have a positive attitude. I figured at this stage in life, I could use a little positive motivation.

She had a whole list of “I Can” statements to read each day. I came home from that conference, emptied a green bean can, cleaned it real good, peeled the label, printed 25 “I can” statements on strips of paper, cut each one and placed them in my “I Can CAN!” Each morning I would choose one statement, read it, and kind of meditate on it.

I’m sure those thoughts set me on the right track to a positive day, but I have noticed one thing. When I am afraid, not one of those “I can” thoughts comes to mind. Yet on nights when my husband is out of town, I will often hear these words, “What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.” When I don’t know what to do, no “I can” thoughts give me instructions, but this one thought gives me hope, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In everything you do, acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight.” When I am angry and want to string someone up by their toes, I can’t remember Mammie’s “I can” thought s, but I do think, “Forgive others as I have forgiven you.”

I’m not saying “I can” thoughts are wrong. The Bible does say, “Fill your mind with what is pure, right, excellent, and praiseworthy.” However, there is only 1 “How To” book that will answers life’s questions, dilemmas, and joys, and that is the only “How To” book that can authentically transform your life. If you believe in the author of this book, he will send your very own helper to guide you to understand and remember all the “How Tos” he has printed. You don’t have to empty a veggie can or print strips of paper to digest this book’s valuable treasures, simply open your Bible each morning and discover how to live life as God intended. And… if you kind of meditate on it a little, you’ll be amazed when God’s “how tos” come to mind, just when you need them most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home