The Laughing House

Monday, December 21, 2009

Taming the 'Tude

When you hear the word "attitude" what comes to mind? Your teenage child's rolling eyes and sour scowl when you mention a menial chore? Your three year old lying on the floor in the grocery store screaming for a piece of gum? Your spouse demanding immediate response to the need of the moment? Is it your boss's general disposition, your neighbor's demeanor, your mother-in-laws actions? What causes humans to respond with "attitude?"

My family and I sat on the back patio Sunday morning, when my 8 year old niece opened the back door and asked my brother, "Dad, are we really leaving?"
"Yes, go pack up your stuff," he said very politely.
There was no response, just a firm shutting of the door, not close enough to be considered a "slam," but just enough to define her emotions.
"You gotta love the attitude," my brother said.
"Wait until she's 16," I replied.

This small scenario sparked a conversation in which my brother said something very profound that I will remember for life.
"Attitude is ego in action."
Isn't that so true? Every time I cop an attitude it is simply my ego demanding my way or resisting someone else's control over me. Start paying attention to the times your attitude jumps out of your body and displays itself. Ask, "Why did my attitude do that?" You'll find the amazing answer is rooted in pride and ego.
Think about Spiderman...when there is a problem in the city what does he do immediately? Respond! That is exactly what my pride does when other people or the world does not line up with it's wants or desires. Ego responds and takes action! I picture my pride like Spiderman fighting for what it believes is truth and right. The problem is that my pride does not want what is good, my pride only wants MY WAY!
What do I do? Something that requires a lifetime of practice...self-discipline.
Discipline is regulating our self by
...principle rather than impulse
...reason rather than emotion
...long-range results rather than immediate satisfaction
Discipline is doing what is best not what is easiest.
Discipline is choosing to do difficult things and making them a habit.
How's your attitude this Christmas season? Patient? Sarcastic? Negative? Whatever it is, take action, Spiderman, and respond with principle, reason, and long-range results. Fight for what is best not what feeds your pride and choose to remain silent when your ego demands to speak. I think you will find your own personal city full of peace and joy when you do your best to tame the 'tude!"
"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you will win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore, I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way as not beating the air, but I discipline my body and make it my slave." 1 Cor. 9:24-27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home