The Laughing House

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Treasure Up

I absolutely love Christmas! What about you? Did you take time to read the Christmas story this year? My favorite verse in the story of Jesus' birth is Luke 2:19, "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." Can you imagine what Mary was thinking as she held the son of God in her arms, remembering her engagement to Joseph, the visit from the angel, her trip to see Elizabeth, and now lying in a barn with a beautiful baby boy while shepherds came to see the newborn king? What if Mary kept a journal? What would she have written that first Christmas?

In 1999, my mother gave me a book to record each year's Christmas memories. Over the years I have written about our holidays. It is so fun to read the events of the previous seasons. One year during the Christmas Eve service I was so proud of the way my son, who was very young at the time, was sitting so still and listening intently to the pastor. As I watched him soaking in the Christmas story, so amazed at the intense interest of my little boy, he leaned over and whispered, "Does our church have a chimney?" I realized at that moment his thoughts were not in the manager. My realization was confirmed when he asked a few minutes later, "Do you think Santa can find us here if he comes now?"

When I finish writing this quick blog, I am going to treasure up all of the memories and moments of this Christmas and take some time to ponder God's amazing blessings. Won't you join me? Begin this year, treasuring your Christmas by simply jotting down your favorite Christmas memories. Store your journal with your Christmas decorations so it will be ready next year to repeat the same process. Trust me... you will be so thankful you followed Mary's example

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home