The Laughing House

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Can You Hear the Music Playing?

God is busy orchestrating our lives even when we are deaf to the symphony that softly whirls around us.

I have a confession to make. One day I would love to have a book on the New York bestseller list. I would love to be on Oprah and tell her and the world the simple things of life that make it miraculous. I would love to speak to and encourage millions of people all over the world to experience all God has planned for each one and to live it up. I know it sounds like a small thing to want, but there it is. My soul lay bare before the world.

As a mother of 3, wife, and ordinary person, I think, “That’s a little too much to ask, Steph.” What I have learned is, I keep doing what I am doing and God keeps making it happen. Now, don’t think you are going to see me on Oprah next week, but its baby steps.

It’s like an orchestra and God is the conductor. While we are changing diapers, balancing checkbooks, running to the grocery store, and working, God is busy orchestrating his music, better known as his purpose, in our lives. We don’t hear the music often times, because we are simply doing what he tells us. “Love me. Take care of your spouse. Teach your kiddos about me and do what is right.” Some where in the middle of life’s chaos, God gently and patiently adds the strings and percussion; the next thing you know we hear a small tune in our hearts. We were deaf to his symphony softly playing around us, but it was there all along.
A friend once said to me, “I don’t know what my purpose is.” I said, “You got a husband?” “Yes,” she replied. “That’s your purpose. You got kids?” “Well, yes,” she responded. “That’s your purpose. You gotta job?” “Yes,” she retorted. “That’s your purpose.”

Play the instruments God has given you and he will take the tune of your life and create a beautiful masterpiece. You may not hear it right now over the kids screaming, the creditors begging for money, or your tears of frustration, but keep going. God is busy orchestrating your life. One day when you reach the end, you will hear the exquisite
melody of your years resonating in the ears of all the lives you touched along the way.

“I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11