The Laughing House

Friday, February 05, 2010

Perspective from Kenya

Are you thankful for what you have? I was challenged by this question last week when a guy in one of my classes shared this story. A pastor from Kenya came to speak at his church. The ministry staff took the guest to dinner. The group went to a top-notch restaurant and ordered the foreigner a nice steak. The gentleman's meal arrived at the table first. To be polite my friend said, "Go ahead and eat. You don't have to wait for us." The guest paused, looked quizically and replied, "Is this just for me? I thought this was for everyone. This food could feed my family."

Later as the group traveled through the city during the icestorm, the visitor looked out across the yards. Sheets and blankets covered plants and shrubs as homeowners tried to protect their plants from the freeze. The gentleman gazing out the car window politely said, "You have blankets for your plants and trees. My country does not even have enough blankets for it's people."

As I listened to the stories about this Kenyan pastor, the question rattled in my mind, "Are you thankful for what you have?" Sometimes it takes a stranger to help us see how blessed we really are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home