The Laughing House

Saturday, January 04, 2014

LOVE TO VACUUM...say what?

When you want something, what is your first response? Do you immediately get it? Are you a planner and begin to prepare for the best time to purchase? Do you research all the options before committing?

What I've found is the longer I wait, the more I love it. This Christmas I asked for a new vacuum cleaner. My friends repeatedly made fun of me saying that is not a Christmas gift, it's a necessity, but for me, it's what I wanted because it's what I needed.

My old vacuum was the kind that by the time I finished cleaning the carpets, there was more dirt on the floor than when I started. I literally yelled out loud at the piece of equipment during each use. I personally picked up more stuff off the floor with my hands than the vacuum and I wanted to kick a hole in the wall each time I used it.

Now, I could have gone and purchased a vacuum last year when it started to go out, but it's a pretty hefty purchase financially so I decided to wait. When I opened the box on Christmas Eve, I literally hugged the thing. I spent Christmas eve and Christmas morning vacuuming. I was in love. It was wonderful. It was like heaven on earth. I couldn't stop using it!

My kids said, "Mom our rug looks like it's new."
"I know!!!" I shouted jumping up and down with tears in my eyes! I am so thankful for my new vacuum cleaner and cherish it and the moments I get to vacuum.

What if I would have bought the vacuum last year when it first started to go out? How would my Christmas and vacuuming experience be different? 

If we never allow ourselves the opportunity to desire something, we never fully enjoy the fun of getting or using it. It's like giving a teen a car before he can drive or giving a preschooler James Avery jewelry when they have no clue about the value of money or expensive jewelry. We deprive ourselves of the joy and satisfaction we could experience from waiting. 

Jesus said, "Take up your cross, deny yourself, and follow me." What did he mean, "deny myself?" 

I challenge you to try denying yourself materialistically, at least for a little while. You'll discover a thankfulness and joy for the simple things you didn't have before and besides that...you might find you love to vacuum. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home