The Laughing House

Friday, June 10, 2016

Stop and Have Snow Cones

When was the last time you ate a snow cone? Who did you enjoy it with? Did you eat it on the run or sit and savor each bite?

Last night my friend and I went on church visitation. We were driving to the home of a church guest when she pointed out a little snow cone truck on the side of the road. She explained how the best snow cones EVER were sold out of that truck. I could tell she really loved these snow cones. Her next words caught me by surprise. She immediately without hesitation said, "On the way back, let's get a snow cone. I want to treat you."

For some reasons those words jolted my thoughts. First, "Let's get a snow cone." At that very moment I realized I am way too hurried. I'm so busy, so focused, so intentional about getting everything done on my list that I don't stop for snow cones. When was the last time, I thought to myself, much less said to someone, "Let's stop and get a snow cone."

I realize the fact that I was raised by parents on a shoe string budget and if we wanted snow cones, we got them. We went home, popped the ice cubes out of the ice trays, crushed them with a hammer, dropped our makeshift ice shavings in a cup, and poured Koolaid on top. I had no idea what a real snow cone was until much later in life. This may have warped my idea of stopping to get a snow cone, but not my friend. She was willing to put the agenda for the evening aside and spend quality time enjoying snow cones.

Reflecting on her words, "I want to treat you," I immediately thought, "When was the last time I treated somebody?" And to take it to a deeper level, "When was the last time I WANTED to treat someone?"  Do I take the time to do something special for someone else? Do I really WANT to treat others?

As the fleeting moment passed, the challenge resonated in my spirit. I'm stopping for snow cones whenever I want. Life is too short to miss the simple joys like ice smoothered with sugar. I'm also going to think of others more often, suprise someone with a treat. Think about the people who I love and WANT to treat.

I've heard the saying, "Stop and smell the roses," but I think life might better when you "Stop, and have snow cones!" Hope you'll join me in slowing down, enjoying the little things in life, and treating the people we love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home