The Laughing House

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Birth Control Pills or Not?

Tonight after church a teenage girl came up to me and said, "Mrs. Chase, will you pray for me?"
I said, "Sure!" (thinking it was probably about the TAKS test or her family)
"What can I pray for you?" I asked.
"Well...I need you to pray that I won't give in to the temptation to take birth control," she said. (I was a little surprised, but maintained my cool.)
"Okay, I'll pray for you, " I responded. "Where would you get birth control pills?" I asked.
"They're in my purse."
"If you want me to pray for you not to give in to the temptation, then you've got to get rid of the temptation," I told her.
She looked at me funny.
"Give me the pills and you won't be tempted," I explained.
She toyed with the idea. She didn't want to give them up.
I explained to her, "If you told me you had drugs in your pocket right now and you were thinking about taking them, do you think I would let you keep them?" She hesitated.
"Would you let me keep drugs in my purse if I was thinking about taking them?" I asked her.
"No!" she replied.
"Then why would I let you keep the birth control pills? If I really love you, I'll help you walk away from the temptation," I said.
She slowly opened her purse and gave me the pills.
We prayed together in the parking lot & I went home with a container of pills that I haven't had in a long time.

I thought 2 things when I left.

1. We never know what someone is going through.
People pass me everyday who are hurting, struggling, and being tempted.
I want to be the one to notice & offer a little TLC or a few words of wisdom to help them make it through another day.

2. Remove temptations & find friends who love me enough to help me walk away.
When tempted, THROW AWAY the temptation. (even if it's a tub of Rocky Road icecream?)
Don't put myself in situations to sin! (If I'm gonna lust over Matthew McConahee(sp?) all night, I guess that means turn off the movie???)