The Laughing House

Thursday, August 06, 2009

How do I Fly When I Feel Like I'm Falling?

Have you survived a plane crash? My father is a pilot. He and my husband went flying early one morning while I slept late. About ten that morning I received a phone call. It was my husband. "We've been in a plane crash. Come to the hospital," he said. I laughed and told him that wasn't funny. He repeated his plea with a little more urgency, but I would not be fooled by the practical joke. "Ha. Ha. Where are you really? Stop joking," I said. This time I heard a tremble in my husband's voice as he said, "I'm not joking. Come to the hospital NOW." My heart sank. I couldn't believe it. The two men I loved most in my life had been in a plane crash.
Miraculously, they both survived. My dad got 52 stitches in his face and my husband walked away with just a few stitches. How does a pilot handle a crash? What does he do in the air when he knows the plane is about to hit the ground?

There were 3 critical statements my father learned when taking flying lessons.
1. Fly the plane.
2. Be ahead of the plane.
3. Keep scanning.

What do you do when you feel like life is crashing in on you? What do you do when you are about to hit the bottom? Follow the pilot's wise advice.

1.Live your life. Don't stop. Keep trying. Put one foot in front of the other. It's like drowning. When going under in the middle of a lake, what is your single focus? SWIM. Life may not make sense. It may seem impossible, but like the pilot, you have to keep flying the plane.
2. Be ahead of the game. If you are not in crisis mode right not, prepare for what lies ahead. Prepare mentally. Set goals. Make a plan. Dream a little. Prepare spiritually. Have a mindset of faith in the one who created you. Believe that all things work together for good for those who love him. Stay positive. Prepare financiallly. Get out of debt and save a few bucks. Prepare physically. Eat right, get rest, and exercise. Be ahead of the game.
3. Scan your options. Be aware of the possibilites that surround you. Get your head out of the sand and look for alternatives. Think outside the box. Get to know quality people who can help you.

The morning my husband and father left for a quick flight around the city, we had no idea what the day would bring. We have know idea what tomorrow holds. Don't worry about your tomorrows, but put into action the lessons of the pilot. Live. Prepare. Scan.