The Laughing House

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Schedule Time for Your Kids - How?

In our LifeGroup (Sunday School class), we are doing a series called "Effective Parenting in a Deffective World." Sunday we learned 8 ways to bond with our kids.
One way is to SCHEDULE TIME.
This means write on the calendar the time you are going to spend with your kids. For example,
Sunday
Church with family 9-12
Monday
Family Dinner 5-6pm
Wednesday
Family Dinner 5-6pm
Friday
Family Movie Night 6-9pm
Saturday
Family 4-Square 3-4
It looks like alot of time, but really it's only 9 hours out of 168!
When a meeting, comes up you simply say, "I'm sorry I already have something on the calendar, how about another time?"
I decided to try this Sunday. I announced there would be a family meeting at 3:00. Everyone moaned and groaned. I had no idea what we were going to do, so I shot up a quick prayer. An hour later the idea came - 4-square in the garage. I moved the car out of the garage, drew a 4-square court with chalk, and brought out the "jam box." At 3, after a gentle reminder, everyone showed up. We headed out to the garage. 2 of the 3 kids were pumped, but 1 was in total rejection mode. (Isn't that the way it goes?) We just ignored it and kept playing. At 4:00 the "scheduled time was over." I announced, "That was fun! We can stop now." Much to my surprise all 3 of them responded, "What? Let's keep going. This is fun." At 5:30 I left the garage with the family meeting still in progress.
3 Things to Note about Scheduled Time:
1. If a child is not happy to participate, DO NOT LECTURE! Just laugh & have fun! It's contagious and he'll catch it.
2. Be flexible! "4-square" became "Keep Away" which became lay on your back and try to set the ball to your partner 120 times. What you have planned may change and that's okay. Go with the flow of your family.
3. Make it FUN! Family fun time is not time for competition. The goal is not to dominate your children in a game or activity. The goal is laugh, talk, and bond!
P.S. The parenting class is open to everyone! You don't have to be a member of the church to come. We meet at Champion Forest Baptist Church at 9:30 Sunday mornings in EA80! We would love to have you.

1 Comments:

  • At Sat Mar 21, 10:18:00 PM 2009 , Blogger Little Women said...

    This is so good for me to read. I need to do this. I'm with the girls all the time, but our time is not quality time all that often. It does need to be scheduled. This was a great reminder.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home