The Laughing House

Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Resurrection Roast

Have you ever had GREAT Easter plans that went really bad?
Easter day at the Chase house was set! The Easter bunny was to come that morning. We would have a light family breakfast, celebrate at church, return for a SCRUMPTIOUS home-cooked, juicy, melt in your mouth roast with potatoes and carrots!

I have tried my whole married life to make a roast. My family just smiles sweetly when I say, "We are having yummy, yummy roast for dinner."
I know what they are thinking, "We have to gnaw on this dreadful meat for an hour. Our jaws go numb. We just smile between drinks trying to get any bit of moisture in our mouths and act like it is good."

I'm so hopeful, though. I just know one of these days it's going to turn out right.

And...Easter 2009 was going to be the day! This Easter my family would wake up to the smell of a juicy tender roast that would be ready right when we walked in the door from church. We would have the perfect Easter lunch!

Saturday night at 9pm, I put the plan in motion. I seasoned that roast. I made a packet of gravy and poured over it to ensure juiciness. I set the oven at 275 & allowed ALL NIGHT for cooking. There would be NO gnawing at the Chase house this Easter!

There was 1 small problem...I did not know a roast is done in 3-4 hours. I put the roast in at 9pm Sat. night, thinking "What a super, well-organized wife & mom I am."
I had no idea the roast would be ready before I even went to bed.

Well, the Easter plans went as scheduled. The Easter bunny came, the Chase family woke up, however, the aroma wasn't quiet what was expected.
One of the girls awoke and said, "Who burned the toast?"
I rushed to the oven. It was turned off.
I hollered, "Who turned off the oven? " thinking someone had ruined my delicious lunch.
My husband replied, "I did. Look at it."
I opened the door. After clearing the smoke, I saw the dreaded, unexpected, disappointing, pitiful black roast dried up & shriveled in a layer of hard black crusted gravy.
"What happened?" I said outloud but meaning to talk to myself.
"Do you really want me to answer that question?" came a reply from another room.
"NO!" I responded impatiently.

I was determined to make the roast work. All it needed was a little TLC. I came up with a new plan! I put the roast in the crock pot & filled it 1/2 way with water & turned it on low. If I let that roast soak in warm water long enough, surely, it would become moist. I left for church expecting a miracle when I returned.

To my amazement, the pastor preached on expectations. After Jesus was buried, his followers looked for him at the tomb, because that is where they expected him to be. The angels asked, "Why are you looking for him here?" Jesus was alive. He would not be with the dead.

The pastor challenged us to think about 1 area of our life where our expectations are low. 1 area where we have given up expecting Jesus to do great things - maybe our marriages, with our kids, at work...and all I could think about was THE ROAST!
Was it possible that Jesus could bring my roast back to life? It had suffered an awful death the night before, but on this day...the day of life, resurrection, and great expectations, could my roast be yummy, delicious, and melt-in-your mouth?
I listened to the pastor whole heartedly. "Christ can do all things through us," he quoted.
Could Jesus revive my roast through water & a crock pot? After all, he turned water into wine! The pastor asked us to seriously consider 1 thing that we needed to lay at God's feet & expect Him to do great things. I must confess...I laid that roast down at the Savior's feet. I left it there in my mind. I prayed for life. I asked for moisture. I begged for a resurrection roast!

My sweet hubby took us to Papacitos where we enjoyed some yummy, delicious, mouth-watering Mexican food. There were no potatoes & carrots on the side, but the rice & beans were to die for. No jaws were sore & all mouths were moistened. It was a GREAT Easter lunch!

What happened to the roast?
My husband opened the crockpot & pulled out a piece of meat and said, "Not bad! It's actually pretty good!"
WOW! God is able to do far more abundantly than we ask or think. His ways are so much higher than ours. If he can resurrect a roast on Easter 2009 at the Chase house, just imagine what he can do in each of our lives!

"To Him (be the glory) who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think"
Eph. 3:20

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home