The Laughing House

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Don't Miss Out

A few weeks ago my daughter purchased a new shirt. It was not a shirt I would have chosen. She planned to wear it to church Sunday morning. After much discussion about whether the shirt was "appropriate", I left the decision up to her. I was so proud that she decided not to wear it that Sunday morning.

At church, I shared with a friend what happened. She suggested I take my daughter to get a new shirt to show her how proud I was of the decision she made. I mentally made plans for a suprise "blessing" for my daughter the following day!

That Sunday night my daughter had Bible Study. Guess what she chose to wear? THE SHIRT! I was a little disappointed, but wasn't going to re-hash the previous conversation. She was old enough to make this decision, and it was not a battle that needed to be fought.

The next week I saw my friend. She asked how the shopping went. I shared the story with her.

She said something profound, "She'll never know what a blessing she missed."

How many blessings have I missed because I chose to do what I wanted to do instead of what my Father asked?
1 Samuel 13 tells the story of King Saul going to battle. He was suppose to wait on Samuel. Samuel didn't arrive on time so Saul went ahead. Because of his choice, God said, "Your kingdom won't last." Had Saul chosen to obey, God would have established Saul's kingdom over Israel for ALL TIME. King Saul missed a HUGE blessing!

In 1 Samuel 2 Eli the priest had 2 sons who were having sex with women working at the temple and stealing the offerings. Eli, the dad, didn't stop them. Because of Eli's choice God said all the men in Eli's family would die in the prime of their lives. Also, Eli's 2 sons would die on the same day. Had Eli stopped his sons, God said, "You and your house would minister before me forever." Eli missed a HUGE blessing!

I dont' want to miss out on the blessings God has in store!
I'm praying that in each decision, big or small, I'll do what makes God smile!
Wonder what blessings are ready & waiting to be poured on us this week?

"Blessed be the God & Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who blesses us with every spiritual belssing." Eph.1:3







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home