The Laughing House

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Am I Losing My Mind?

My son recently moved from the Havoc baseball team to play with the Crusaders. He played with the Havoc for 3 seasons. Last night at his Crusader game, the boys made a super play, so I immediately responded, "Way to go HAVOC!" The moms quickly & lovingly reminded me that we were watching the Crusaders. After a good chuckle, we returned to watching the game.
Several innings later the boys made another great play, I immediately hollered, "Way to go CARDINALS!" I paused, as all the moms turned to look my direction again. I quietly asked, "Did I just say Cardinals?" After another friendly round of laughter, they sweetly reminded me that our team is called the Crusaders.
Before bed I asked the Lord if I was loosing my mind. "Why would I have said Havoc & then Cardinals?"
The gentle thought swept through my mind, "Habits become actions."
For 3 seasons I had cheered for the Havoc. Cheering for the "Havoc" became a habit. My actions naturally reflected the habit. (and embarrassingly so)
That sounded logical, so I asked, "Why would I have said Cardinals?
"Because thoughts become words."
I remembered thinking the first time I saw Michael's new Crusaders jersey the spelling of the word Crusaders looked like a Cardinals jersey. My thoughts had become words.

I was challenged to consider what other habits had turned into actions & what thoughts had become words.
I worked in reverse order -
What actions in my life do not reflect Christ? (maybe the way I treat poor Rick)
What habits cause those actions? (speaking my mind without stopping to THINK first especially when I think I'm right, which is 99.9% of the time & I'm sure Rick would agree :)
At the same time, I asked-
What actions in my life reflect Christ? (loving His word)
What habits caused those actions? (reading & doing it)
Then, I asked -
What words I say do not reflect Christ? (I am so sick of cleaning these stinkin' toilets!)
What thoughts became those words? (I have to do all the work around here & get no help, etc)
What words could I say that reflect Christ? (Thank the good Lord we have toilets! I'll gladly clean them!)
What thoughts could become those words? (Chad just got back from the Ukraine & the people going over for the mission trip won't have potties while they are teaching the soccer camps all day! What if I didn't have a potty?)
Habits become actions. Thoughts become words.
"As a man thinketh, so is he."

2 Comments:

  • At Fri Mar 27, 07:17:00 PM 2009 , Blogger Juls said...

    We are so blessed that Kobe is on this team. I am always learning from you guys. I am so glad that Michael joined the Cardinals, I mean CRUSADERS!

     
  • At Fri Mar 27, 07:29:00 PM 2009 , Blogger Stephanie Chase said...

    You are so funny! Thanks for sharing your story w/me Wed. night! I have been thinking about you all week! You are an amazing woman! I've thought about what you said, that sometimes the hardest things we go through are the biggest blessings.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home