The Laughing House

Friday, March 27, 2009

A Night On The Couch

Whoever thought of tucking kids in at bedtime everynight only had 1 kid
By the time you're to the 3rd one, you've got toothpicks holding up your lids.
Sometimes I want to say to heck with you all - JUST GO TO BED!
Can't you just for once do it by yourselves, my body is already dead.
Just give me the couch and TV right there. American Idol, Biggest Looser, or WWF, I don't care.
I just want to do what I want to do. For one silly night, is that too much for you?
I'm not cleaning the kitchen, not 1 little dish.
I'm lying on the couch and do what I wish.
No bubbles, no shampoo, no brushing teeth.
No combing out tangles or scrubbing dirty feet.
No books, no not one, not one little word. You think this is strange and I'm being absurd.
But ask me if I care because I really don't. On this 1 night, NO TUCKING IN, I won't!
No secrets, no prayers, no talking about your day.
I'm going to the couch and I'm planning to stay.
"Hey mom, I love you, sleep tight, and good night," you call from upstairs.
I can just see your wet heads all snuggled in up there.
I smell the sweet scent of your sweet little face.
As I lie there on the couch, all perched in my place.
"See you in the morning," you say 1 last time,
And I picture your sweet slumber, so glad that you're mine.
I can't stand it, you know it, I can't miss one good night.
So I run upstairs and turn on all 3 lights.
"Come on you 3, one story in my bed."
Then we talk, and we giggle, and all prayers are said.
I smile as I tuck you in and kiss each little cheek.
An hour later I think, "A night on the couch...maybe next week."

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home