The Laughing House

Thursday, March 26, 2009

What If I Were Homeless

  • What if I lost everything I owned in the hurricane, and had no place to go?
  • What if I had to hide from my husband because he beat me every night?
  • What if the only place I had to turn was a building with other women and children who had nothing?
  • What if my home was 1 room and I shared a bed with my 3 children?
  • What if I slept with my 3 children last night hiding in a park under playground equipment?
  • What if my children went to school in the 5th ward?
  • What if I had NO formal education?
  • What if every piece of clothing I owned was worn previously by someone I didn't know?
  • What if I had 1 pair of shoes?

Why do I complain when I have so much to be thankful for?
God help me to appreciate all you have given to me because compared to others, it is so great and so much more than I deserve.
Check out Star of Hope Women's Shelter on-line! The shelter has served women and children in Houston for 102 years.
Do you think the person who started that ministry knew what a lasting impact it would have on so many people for so long?
What can I do today that will impact others for 100 years?

2 Comments:

  • At Thu Mar 26, 10:32:00 PM 2009 , Blogger Piper said...

    Stephanie,
    Just wanted to leave you a message and let you know I enjoy your blog. Your post today reminded me of a story one of our Seekers Class teachers shared a few weeks back about the speaker at this year's annual Star of Hope banquet. There's no room to share it here, but if you enjoy inspirational stories, check out a book called "Same Kind of Different as Me" by Ron Hall with Denver Moore. A brief introduction to the book can be found at http://www.samekindofdifferentasme.com/video.aspx

    Hope you are well!

    <3
    Jenny aka "Piper" Patrick

     
  • At Fri Mar 27, 07:24:00 PM 2009 , Blogger Stephanie Chase said...

    Thanks for the book recommendation! One of the ladies who went w/ us Thursday was at that banquet. She was telling us about the speaker, but she couldn't remember the name of the book! I will definitely be checking it out! Thanks for the info!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home