The Laughing House

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Bad Words & Jesus

A friend told me an incredible story she heard at a funeral recently. The man who died was an amazing Christian and shared his love for Jesus with every person he met. The man's son stood up at the funeral and told the following story.

One day when I was young, I said a VERY bad word. My mom heard me. Instead of punishing me, she said those dreaded words, "Wait 'til your dad gets home."
When my dad came through the door that evening, he told me to go in the bathroom and lather up a wash cloth until he came to talk to me.
I slowly wandered in the bathroom. I found the smallest wash rag in the cabinet. I began to rub soap on the old cloth. I kept rubbing and rubbing, waiting for my dad. All I could smell was the scenty fresh aroma, but it wasn't very refreshing at the moment. I knew I was going to have to wash my mouth with soap. I dreaded the punishment. It seemed like forever in that tiny little room. The rag was completely white, covered with lathered soap when my dad opened the door.
"I want to teach you a very important lesson, " my dad said.
My stomach fell to the floor. I knew what was coming.
"I want to teach you a lesson about Jesus," he continued. "I hope it's a lesson you will never forget."
"Tonight, you are going to wash my mouth out with soap," he said.
I knew I must have heard wrong. There was no way I could wash my dad's mouth with soap.
"Sir?" I replied.
"Yes, son, tonight, just because I love you, I am going to take your punishment for you. Go ahead and wash my mouth with the rag in your hand."
At first I refused, but my father insisted. With tears running down my cheeks, I washed my father's mouth with the soap that was intended for me.
I watched my father cough, gag, choke, and shout in pain, but he endured until I was finished.
After I put the rag away, I fell into my father's big arms and begged his forgiveness as I wept uncontrollably.
At that moment, my cheeks soaked with tears, I realized how much Jesus really loves me.
It was a lesson I have never forgotten.
Each time a bad word even comes to my mind, I remember that moment.
And today I remember, that's the kind of dad I had, and that's the kind of Jesus he loved.