The Laughing House

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Becoming Hip

Ever feel like an old woman? If so…OVERCOME!
I am currently a student in seminary. Back in the good old days when I went to class everyone had their Red Chief tablet and a thick #2 pencil. When I started seminary, I went to Wal-mart and purchased a new modern day Red Chief tablet, better known as a spiral, with cute pink and brown designs on the front. I kissed that frowning Indian good-bye and said hello to the modern world of school supplies.
On my first day of seminary several semesters ago I was so nervous. I had my fancy spiral and my cute pen with an artificial flower on the end. No more fat pencils for me. I was anxious to see what kind of spirals all the other students had purchased…would they be flowers, stripes, or just plain colors?
When I opened the door to enter class on the first day, I gasped. Where were the spirals? Where were the pens and pencils? There were none! As I stood in the back of the room glaring across rows of tables, I couldn’t believe what I saw. It appeared there was some kind of television sitting on each desk. “Were there no professors? Were we going to watch videos?” I wondered.
I slowly walked to a desk that had no technological apparatus. I carefully stepped over what felt like hundreds of cords streaming from the strange televsions to outlets on the walls. I looked carefully at the contraption next to me. I noticed a keyboard and letters on the screen. “What? Were these computers?” I thought.
To my amazement, no one else had gone to Wal-mart. No one purchased cute spirals. There were no other cute pens. It appeared everyone else had gone to Best Buy to purchase school supplies, and the Red Chief tablet was now a laptop.
That day and for the last three semesters, I have rolled back prices, endured the back to school crowds, and fought little 2nd graders for the cutest spirals ever created by Wal-mart. I have diligently taken notes by hand, running out of ink on some occasions and breaking pencil leads, mind you there are no pencil sharpeners in these high-tech institutions. I have survived hand cramps and overcome jealousy as I watched the youngsters quickly typing notes on their own individual lecture power point presentations.
I have persevered…but this week, however… I HAVE OVERCOME!!!!
I brought my husbands old laptop to school. With much help, lots of patience from my classmates, many errors, and several embarrassing moments, I have taken notes all week long on a laptop! I am kissing Wal-mart good-bye. I am hanging up my cute spirals. There will be no more fighting little kids during back-to-school shopping. I will faithfully click away on this key-board with all the other young whipper-snappers, and when I see some sweet old sister walk through the door at school on her first day, shocked, dazed, and confused. I will offer her a seat beside me. Wrap my arm around her and say, “Let me see that cute spiral. That is the cutest spiral I have ever seen. You must have gotten that at Wal-mart.” Then I will smile to myself knowing exactly what she is thinking, “How did this old woman become so hip?