The Laughing House

Friday, May 08, 2009

Let 'em Learn

Both of my girls are going on a mission trip this summer to the Appalachian (can't ever seem to pronounce correctly) Mtns. Rick and I decided it would be a good learning experience for them to raise the $ to go. (Or, maybe it's because we couldn't afford to send both of them to camp & the mission trip, but it has been a good learning experience, if that counts for anything. The cost for the trip is $385 per person.)

The girls sent out notes to family asking if they wanted to sponsor them $20 and decided that all of their babysitting money would go towards the trip. One of our daughters faithfully took every babysitting job that came her way and saved every dime earned. Our other daughter declined several babysitting jobs and took some of the money she had earned and spent it at the rodeo. The deadline for the full payment was May1.

On May 1, one daughter paid her way in full, but the other was faced with a BIG problem. She only had $1oo.00. What was she going to do? I suggested she ask for an extension. Graciously, the leaders of the trip granted her some extra time to earn the $, but we decided that if she did not have the full amount by June 1, she would not go. This was a severe BLOW!

After we laid down the law, she came to me asking if she could have a garage sale and discussing other plans to raise $. She was serious about earning this $.

The next evening a friend of the family called and asked her to babysit. I thought, "This is perfect timing." She gladly accepted and socked the $ away for safe keeping.

The next day a neighbor asked if she could dogsit over Memorial Day weekend. She was so EXCITED! This was job #2 and it had only been 2 days.

The next day we received a call from a neighbor who needed someone to housesit. She jumped on the opportunity with an eager spirit!

That night she said, "Mom, you aren't going to believe this. You know when you told me I only had until June 1st to raise the money?"
"Yeah," I replied.
"That night when I went to bed, I asked God to please send me jobs so I could raise enough money to go on Mission Trip."
"Are you serious?" I asked.
"Yep," she said. "And look how many He's given me in just 3 days!"

Sometimes it's hard to watch our kids make poor choices, but sometimes we have to let them so they can learn all on their own, what a great God we have!
"Ask and ye shall receive"