The Laughing House

Monday, August 24, 2009

Do You Wanna Quit?

Have you ever had one of those days when you just want to QUIT!!! Throw in the towel. Hang it up. Crawl back under the covers & bury life. Today was one of those days for me. I have been trying for 3 weeks to register for school and today the straw broke this camel’s back.

Because I preregistered and didn’t pay by a certain date, all of my classes were dropped. In order for me to re-enroll, I had to pay the designated amount. There was 1 small problem…the reason I hadn’t paid in the first place was because I was being overcharged. After talking with 4 different people on the main campus, waiting for return phone calls, being on hold for extended periods of time, transferring to various departments, no one could explain the charges. I was told the only way to get an itemized statement was to pay the amount and then the bill would be sent to my web advisor account on line. Now, does that sound right? That’s like saying give me $1000 and then I’ll show you the TV you just bought!

I proceeded with an idea that I thought might work, to have another door slammed in my face. Through tears, anger, and frustration, I persisted. Although I wanted to sit down on the floor and shout at the top of my lungs, “I QUIT,” my sweet husband kept saying, “Keep trying. Don’t give up. You are supposed to be doing this. I am not letting you quit now.”

With the help of some very patient friends and a great advisor, the problem was solved. I was reminded, though, that even when things look impossible, bleak, or hopeless, don’t quit! If you know you are doing what God has planned for you, move. Keep pressing on. Go. Persevere.

Imagine Jesus quitting. What if he handed his cross back to the father and shouted, “I QUIT!” Jesus didn’t. He remained steady in the face of adversity. He stuck with it until the bitter end became a beautiful blessing. We, too, must persist in the plans God has for us. When trouble, hard times, or opposition block your path, stand up and shout, “I WILL” and keep moving.

“Press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Phil. 3:14