The Laughing House

Saturday, August 15, 2009

What is The Quickest Way to Annihilate Your Body?

Would you volunteer to rip your arms out of socket, jar your head repeatedly like beating it against a brick wall for 15 minutes, endure an atomic wedgie, suck 1/2 a gallon of water up your nose, loose 1/2 your clothing, and get stuck upside down in water unable to turn yourself over all in the name of fun? If your answer is yes, knee-boarding is for you! Today I enjoyed and endured my first experience with knee-boarding. As painful as it was and is going to be in the morning, it was EXHILARATING! Bouncing along behind the boat. Waves pounding against the bottom of the board. Water spraying in my face. Holding on for dear life. It was GREAT! I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

As I rocked along over the surface of the water, pain and all, I thought, "This is so like life!" When I was safely nestled in the path of the boat, the ride was peaceful, calm, and enjoyable. When my pride and self-sufficiency swelled, I ventured over the wake and out into "no man's land." I was on my own, holding on for dear life. The ride was difficult, demanding, and less safe. When I left the safety of my security, I crashed and landed upside down with the board on top of me.

God has an amazing plan for our lives. When we follow his path, we are nestled safe in his hands. He gently leads and guides us. Venturing out into "my own land" gets me in trouble. I crash with the weight of the world on top of me. Where are you today? Behind the captain of your life or floundering in your own world seeking the thrill?

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life. " John 8:12