The Laughing House

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Would You Climb a Pine Tree?

Last week my son and I were sitting in the rocking chairs on the front porch waiting for the bus. He noticed all the brown pine needles in the yard and commented, "Mom, I would climb to the top of that pine tree for you and get all the green pine needles."
I was surprised by his statement, and said, "That would be so nice. Tell me why you want to do that."
He responded, "Remember in 3rd grade when I brought you home all those green pine needles from the playground?"
I nodded yes, shuffling through my memory bank trying to remember.
"You said you loved green pine needles and those are your favorite."
I smiled and told him he was the most thoughtful young man and I was the luckiest mom in the world to have him!

As I thought about his words, "I would climb to the top of that pine tree for you," I was reminded of another man who climbed a tree for me. I thought about Jesus' willingness to come to earth from heaven and give up all his glory, live in this imperfect, selfish world, knowing all along that he was going to climb up on a cross beaten and in excrutiating pain just for me.

I was humbled sitting there rocking quietly. The words to an old song echoed through my mind,

"On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross the emblem of suffering and shame.

But I love that old cross where the dearest and best for a world of lost sinners was slain."


It was Jesus mission to come to this earth and save you. He willingly laid down his life to call you his own. Have you thought lately about the price he paid for you? Do you know what he gave up to climb up on a tree to prove his love for you? What would it take for you to willingly lay down your life to prove your love for him?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home