The Laughing House

Friday, June 10, 2016

You Got the Want To?

Do you have the crazy want to? Are you one of the "want tos" that stops or are you a drive by?

Yesterday I was headed to work out when I saw a turtle in the middle of the road. He was moving slowly of course and all I could think was, "You are about to get run over."

I pulled over on the side of the road, put on my hazards, and slowly approached my new friend. As I neared the little critter, I noticed he was not an ordinary turtle. He had spikes on his back, a long tail flowing from under his shell, and really thick, big legs. He looked like a scary mini Ninja Turtle. I wanted to pick him up so bad and put him in the grass but I couldn't get up the nerve. Something about him scared me.

Several cars drove by and I asked for help but people were reluctant, busy, or unmoved and continued on their way. Finally, an elderly man saw my desperate need and stopped. He jumped out of his truck and said, "Can I help you?" I wanted to grab his neck and hug him. "Please!" I said. He examined the little reptile and noticed this wasn't our ordinary turtle. Without fear, he placed the turtle in the grass, wished him luck, and thanked me for helping. In an instant, the white-haired man was gone and my little friend was saved.

As he drove off, I thought about the story of the good Samaritan. Remember, the man who was robbed, beaten, and left on the side of the road to die? How many people walked by and refused to help? Finally, one man, the good Samaritan, stopped.

I wondered yesterday as the old man disappeared, "What makes a person a good Samaritan? Why are some people quick to help and others don't care? What is it that makes a person kind?"

Some people say genetics. Others would add it's how a person is raised. Some might even think it's religion or spiritual. What about you? What do you say?  What makes a person a good Samaritan?

I know for me, the only thing that makes me good is Jesus. If his spirit wasn't living in me, I'd be a "hot mess." On my own, I'm so bad and would probably drive right pass every person I see in need and maybe even say ugly words. Because Jesus lives in me, he makes me want to. Yes, he gives me some rare, supernatural "want to" hep others. It's like this good Samaritan buzz inside me that says, "Turtle, grandma, child, or homeless man," get out there and help them all.

Do you have the "want to?" Is it because you're momma taught you to? Is it genetic? Or is it because Jesus lives inside of you? I don't know what you think, but for me, I like the buzz. If I were you, I'd let Jesus come on in and give you the rare, supernatural, "want to" and experience a whole new world of helping people! It's really fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home